High Street to Central Fire Station and back – 1963-1964
From Bartholomew's Pocket Atlas and Guide to
From Geographer's Birmingham A-Z (c.1972)
A walk from High Street to the Central Fire Station via Moor Street, Dale End and Stafford Street, returning via Corporation Street and focusing on all the smaller streets in this area, including: Castle Street, Carr's Lane, New Meeting Street, Albert Street, Henn's Walk, Newton Street, James Watt Street, Ryder Street, Dalton Street, Coleshill Street, Aston Street, Lower Priory, Lower Bull Street, Martineau Street, Union Street, Union Passage, Warwick Place. This selection consists of 28 images scanned from original 35 mm colour and mono-chrome transparencies.
The two maps, published in 1949 and 1972, show the approximate area covered by the survey and identify many of the relevant street names. The later map shows the new roadways created as part Inner Ringroad development in the early 1960s.