The Commonwealth War Graves Commission (see website link below) provides further information about James Roscoe SAMUEL on its Debt of Honour, details as follows:
Second Lieutenant JAMES ROSCOE SAMUEL
7th Bn., North Staffordshire Regiment
died aged 24 on Thursday, 25th January 1917.
Second Lieutenant SAMUEL was the son of James and Elizabeth Samuel, of St. Edward's Vicarage, Barnsley, Yorks. Native of Llanelly. Remembered with honour, Amara War Cemetery, Iraq (formerly Mesopotamia); Grave Reference/Panel Number: XVI. A. 6.
Amara is a town on the left bank of the River Tigris some 520 kilometres from the sea. The War Cemetery is a little east of the town between the left bank of the river and the Chahaila Canal.
Amara was occupied by the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force on the 3rd June, 1915, and it became at once a hospital centre. Accommodation, on both banks of the river, was greatly increased during 1916, and in April, 1917, seven British and Indian General Hospitals, as well as other medical units, were stationed at Amara.
Besides the "Old Cemetery" (which became the present War Cemetery), other cemeteries were made at Amara for Hindu, Sikh and Muhammadan soldiers of the Indian Army and for Turkish prisoners of war. The graves brought in from other cemeteries and from the battlefields numbered in excess of 3,000.
The burial grounds or battle fields from which British graves were brought into Amara include, among other places made famous by the War,
- Abu Rumman Mounds, occupied in April, 1916;
- Es Sinn, where Field Ambulances were in September, 1915;
- Fallahiya and Sandy Ridge, Field Ambulance positions facing each other across the river, North-East of Sannaiyat;
- Imam al Mansur, a position occupied in December, 1916;
Orah, which became the Advanced Base in February, 1916;
- "R19", near the right bank, between Kut and Bassouia;
- Sannaiyat, passed in September, 1915, attacked in April, 1916, and taken in February, 1917;
- Amara New Cemetery, on the right bank, which was begun in February, 1918, and used until July, 1920; it contained 71 graves; and
- Shaikh Saad Old Cemetery, where 473 British officers and men were buried. In 1933 all of the headstones were removed from this cemetery as salts in the soil caused a rapid deterioration of the stone used. Instead a screen wall was erected with all of the names engraved upon it.