Welsh Family History Archive
Images of Wales
Where's that?? - locate Cefn Coed-y-Cymer on a map of Wales.
Hen Dy Cwrdd
(The Old Meeting House)
Cefn Coed-y-Cymer, Breconshire
Photography by John Ball - 5 June 2000
(with Sony Mavica MVC-FD91 digital camera)
Hen Dy Cwrdd is a Unitarian chapel in Old Chapel Road in the village of Cefn Coed-y-Cymer, to the north-west of Merthyr Tydfil. Cefn Coed-y-Cymer is on the Glamorgan-Breconshire border and is in the old Breconshire parish of Vaynor (Y Faenor).
Above: The chapel dates back to 1747, but has undergone a number of rebuilds.
The Welsh inscription reads "For us there is only one God the Father".
Above and below: The appearance of the interior is enhanced with
richly polished wooden pews and balcony.
Below: The old pulpit.
Right: One of the older gravestones in the chapel burial yard. The grave marks the burial plot of a Thomas family:
Underneath lies the body of
LEWIS, Son of
of Taf-fawr in this Parish
who died 8th of Sep. 1802,
aged 23 Years.
ALSO OF MARY
Daughter of the above nam'd
who died 10th of Oct. 1806,
aged 32 Years.
ALSO OF CATHERINE,
Wife of the above named
(the rest of the inscription is below ground level)
You'll find more photographs of Hen Dy Cwrdd Chapel on the website of Venita Roylance
from Utah, USA, some of whose ancestors are buried in the chapel graveyard.
Venita's website is at http://www.venitap.com/Travels/HendyCwrdd/HendyCwrdd.html