Images of Wales
Wednesday, 28 January 1998
The Docks, Swansea,
Photography by John Ball - 28 January 1998
(with Agfa ePhoto-307 digital camera)
Swansea Docks is the collective name for several docks in Swansea. The Swansea docks are located immediately south east of the city centre. In the mid-19th century the port was exporting 60% of the world's copper from factories situated in the Tawe valley. The working docks area today is owned and operated by Associated British Ports as the Port of Swansea and the northern part around the Prince of Wales Dock is undergoing re-development into a new urban area branded the SA1 Swansea Waterfront.
[Source: Wikipedia online encyclopaedia (accessed 10 Feb 2017)]
Below: An Ordnance Survey map of the docks area, published in 1921. Click the image for a full-size version.
Above: Looking northeastwards across the King's Dock.
Above: Ship moored at the dockside.
Above: Looking towards the open sea.
Above: The Seamark, and beyond, the Swansea-Cork ferry with twin funnels.
Above: Looking towards the St Thomas district of Swansea, with Kilvey Hill in the background.
Above: A Belgiam vessel moored alongside King's Dock.
Above: Norwegian Mission Church near Prince Charles Dock at the entrance to the docks.
In 1910 the original Newport Mission church was closed and the building dismantled. It was re-erected at the Prince Charles Dock, where the Church was a instant success. The Mission, was open every day, and during the Second World War it became the focus for the Norwegian Community and was as much of a social club as a place for religious worship. Since the photo was taken [in 1998] the church was moved again to a new site nearby, where it houses a jeweller's studio and gallery.