Images of Wales
Photography by John Ball - 11.30am, 9 March 1998
(with Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
A monastery was first erected on this site by a colony of French Savigniac monks around AD 1130. After the dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530s, parts of the abbey were transformed into a grand Tudor mansion. The buildings are now in various degrees of preservation, and many parts of the structure are still identifiable.
Above: The Abbot's House, dating from about AD 1180 to 1250 but with later additions.
Above: Ruins of the northeast wing, added in Tudor times onto the back of
the Abbot's House.
Above: Parts of the entrance to the Monks' Day Room in the Abbot's House,
built around AD 1200.
Above left: The remains of the great West Front of the Abbey Church.
Above right: The south wall of the Abbot's House, reflected in the still
waters of the Tennent Canal.
Above: Ahead are the remains of the north wall of the Abbey Church nave, and
to the left, its west front.