Images of Wales
Saturday, 11 April 1998
St. Nicholas's Church,
Trelech (Trelleck), Monmouthshire
Photography by John Ball - 11:30 am, 6th April 1998
(with an Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
In the 13th century, Trelech was larger than Newport or Chepstow, but was largely destroyed in 1291 as a result of a raid following a dispute over alleged deer poaching. The villagers also suffered from the Black Death in 1340. The parish church of St. Nicholas dates back to the 7th and 8th centuries AD, but the present building dates from the 13th century.
Above: The spire of St. Nicholas' Church can be seen for miles around.
Above: The spire (left) was rebuilt about 1792, after the original spire collapsed in
a storm, damaging the roof of the nave. The chancel is shown (right).
Above: The nave and north aisle.
Above: Inside the entrance to the church is this ancient sundial, dated AD 1640.
Above: Children's corner, complete with its own altar.