Images of Wales
Wednesday, 29th April 1998
Upper Swansea Valley
Photography by John Ball - 2.30pm on 29th April 1998
(with Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
Pen-y-Cae is a small village in the valley of the River Tawe, in the beautiful
Brecon Beacons National Park.
Above: Entering the village from the north, looking down the A4067 valley road.
|Above: The Pen-y-Cae Inn is the only public house in the village.
[Since the above photograph was taken in 1998, the inn has been 'restored' and enlarged. It is renowned for the food served in its restaurant.]
Below: The inn as it was circa 1950.
(Scanned from a picture postcard published circa 1950 by F. Frith & Co., Ltd. of Reigate, Surrey)
Above: One of a number of newer properties in the village. The hill beyond
is Cribarth Mountain.
Above: These are more traditional Welsh buildings. The nearer property was
once a village shop.
Left: This notice outside the former village shop reminds those travelling up the valley that the next shop is at least 12 miles away (at Sennybridge).
Above: Lush green meadows near the River Tawe at Pen-y-Cae.
Above: Walking up the lane on the east side of the river brings one
suddenly upon Nant-y-ffin Chapel, partly hidden by the trees.
Above: This typical Welsh Baptist chapel has its own neatly tended graveyard.
Right: The graveyard is on the steeply sloping hillside. Many of the tombstone inscriptions are in the Welsh language.
Right: The top of the graveyard offers a wonderful view westwards across the valley to the limestone mass of Cribarth Mountain.