Images of Wales
Sunday, 10 May 1998
Photography by John Ball - 8th May 1998
(with Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
The village of Carew is situated on the tidal reaches of the river Carew, which flows into the Daugleddau at Jenkins Point near Lawrenny.
The name Carew is sometimes pronounced "care-ee" and is thought to derive from the Welsh word caerau, the plural form of caer which means a fortress or stronghold.
Above: Guarding the village is Carew Castle.
The magnificent Norman castle, which later became an Elizabethan residence, has links with King Henry Tudor and was the setting for the Great Tournament of 1507. Archaeological excavation has also revealed a five-ditched promontary fort dating from around AD 100 to AD 400.
Find out more about Carew Castle on Jeff Thomas's Castles of Wales website.
Below: Carew Castle overlooking the river.
Above: The Riverside Restaurant and Tea Room.
Above: A narrow stone bridge carries the main A4075 road across the river.
Above: The Carew Inn public house.
Above: A derelict cottage in Carew.
Above: Wesley Chapel, built in 1852.
Above: This old milk churn has been attractively painted and is now being used
as a decorative feature alongside the front door of a cottage near Carew.