Images of Wales
Saturday, 30 May 1998
Exploring Old Tenby
Photography by John Ball - 28 May 1998
(with Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
Apart from fine beaches, Tenby has a long history, reflected in
the diversity and character of its buildings.
Tenby is situated on a peninsula, enabling it to be defended by the building of a town wall. The wall was erected in the late 13th century after the storming of the town in 1260 by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd in protest against the English occupation of Wales. In the picture below, the old town of Tenby lies behind the wall on the right of the roadway.
Above: Part of the town wall, Tenby
Above: Quay Hill, one of the many narrow medieval lanes in old Tenby.
Halfway down Quay Hill is a fine example of a late 15th century house (above right) which originally belonged to a merchant in Tudor times. The property is owned by the National Trust organisation and is open to the public. It has been restored and furnished to re-create the atmosphere from the time when a Tudor family lived there, 500 years ago.
Above: Opposite the Tudor Merchant's House, in Bridge Street, is this old
cottage, once the home of local artist and author Charles Norris (1779-1858).
Above: Bridge Street, Tenby. Charles Norris's house is on the immediate left.
Left: An old entrance passageway leading to a sunlit and secluded yard in the centre of Tenby.