Images of Wales
Sunday, 2nd August 1998
Where's that? - Identify the location of Llananno on a map of Wales.
St Anno's Parish Church, Llananno
Photography by John Ball – 2.30pm, 1 August 1998
(with Agfa ePhoto-307 digital camera)
Nothing is known of the original church of Llananno, but it is possible a church has existed on the site for a thousand years. The church is situated on the bank of the river Ithon just north of Llanbister village. Over the last one hundred years, the population of the parish has declined and there are now fewer than ninety parishioners. The church was completely rebuilt in 1877.
Above: The church is screened from the road by trees, and is approached via
a pathway across a field.
Above: The southern aspect of the church from its graveyard.
Above: The pathway (left) leading to the porch entrance, and (right) the nave, chancel, and altar.
Above: Screen and rood loft.
Llananno is famed for its late 15th or early 16th century wooden screen and rood loft. It is thought to be of Welsh design, from the same workshop as the screens at Newtown, Llanidloes, and Llanwnog in Montgomeryshire. The screen is ornately decorated (see below).
Above: A detail of the panelling on what was once the churchwarden's pew.
The inscription reads: David Lewis - Church Warden - 1681