Images of Wales
Friday, 4 September 1998
The Parish of Llanfihangel Rhydithon,
Photography by John Ball - 13th August 1998
(with an Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
In the Radnorshire parish of Llanfihangel Rhydithon is a tiny village of the same name, situated on the Knighton road, about six miles north-west of Llandrindod Wells. Llanfihangel Rhydithon means "the church of St Michael of All Angels at the ford of the river Ithon".
Right: St Michael's parish church at
Above: The old school buildings at Llanfihangel Rhydithon.
The school dates from 1848 and is located on the opposite side of the road from the parish church. The school was funded by subscriptions from the inhabitants of the parish (see plaque below).
Above: To the east of the village, alongside the road to
Knighton, this large house was once the Old Hall Inn.
Above: Opposite the Old Hall Inn is the Welsh Calvinistic
Methodist Tanhouse Chapel, built in 1854.
To the northwest of the village, at Dolau (pronounced "Dolly" by locals), there is access to the Heart of Wales railway line, which runs 120 miles from Shrewsbury in the north, to Swansea and Llanelli in the south. The road passes over the tracks at this level crossing (below).
Above: Dolau Railway Station.
In the summer season, four trains in each direction pass through the station every day,
stopping if necessary to pick up or drop off passengers.
Above: The station is attractively decorated with flowers throughout the
summer months. This is near the entrance to the platform.
Above: This small hut is for the convenience of passengers waiting for the train.
Above: As this rather blurred old 1940s photograph shows, the
station at Dolau was once a much busier place with more elaborate
facilities. The photo is on display in the Waiting Room.
Above: Alongside the station is Dolau Baptist Chapel, built in 1870.