Welsh Family History Archive
Images of Wales
Tretower Court, Breconshire
Photography by John Ball - 23 June 1998
(with Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
Tretower Court is one of the earliest and best fortified medieval manor houses in Wales, dating mainly from the 15th century, but the ownership of the land can be traced back to the 11th century. Many generations of the Vaughan family were resident at Tretower Court, including the 17th century mystic poet, Henry Vaughan (1621-1695), twin brother of philosopher Thomas Vaughan (1621-1666).
Above: The western aspect of Tretower Court.
Above: In the distance are the hills which form the eastern side of the Rhian-goll valley.
Above: To the south of Tretower Court is a secluded garden area.
Above: The garden is stocked with plants which would have been common in medieval
times. In June, when these pictures were taken, rambling roses and ox-eye daisies
were in full bloom.
Above: The stone pedestal of a Tudor water fountain.
Above: The 'back door' leading from the garden into the court.