Images of Wales
Llanwynno (Llanwonno), Glamorgan
Photography by John Ball - 12.30pm, 2 February 1999
(with Agfa ePhoto-307 digital camera)
The medieval church of St Gwynno is in the ancient parish of Llanwynno, high in the hills between the valleys of the rivers Rhondda Fach and Cynon, and deep in the St Gwynno Forest.
Above: The parish church of St Gwynno.
Above: The church and its graveyard are on a steeply sloping hillside.
Above: Many of the gravestones are in a state of collapse.
Below right: The church viewed from the bottom of the graveyard.
Above left: The monument to Griffith Morgan. The Welsh inscription translates as follows:
In Memory of GRIFFITH MORGAN of Nyth Bran in this Parish, who died in 1737 aged 37. He was a wild runner. He defeated Prince, a man from the Parish of Bedwas, in a race over 12 miles which he ran in 7 minutes within the hour. A brave and active runner, a giant who was always victorious. Griffith was a fair man. His praise shall be everlasting. (Gwilym Glanffrwd)
This monument and its inscription was raised in 1866 by Evan Tomas of Nant Ddyrus Llanwonno with charitable friends.
Above: The view looking north-eastwards, towards Mynydd Merthyr.
Above: The shadows are lengthening, even at 1pm
- and yes, that really is a sheep in the centre of the picture!!
Above and below: Across the road from the churchyard is the remote but welcoming Brynffynnon Inn.