Welsh Family History Archive
Images of Wales
Photography by John Ball - 22 September 1998
(with an Agfa ePhoto307 digital camera)
South of Nantyglo, in the former mining valley of the river Ebbw Fach, is the town of Blaina (Welsh spelling Blaenau) in the old Monmouthshire parish of Aberystruth. Although there is a continuous strip of housing all the way down the old valley road, Blaina is a distinct community, separate from Nantyglo. The pictures were taken during a walk down Blaina High Street.
Above: The Royal Exchange public house.
Above: Salem Baptist Chapel (built 1848), conveniently close to
another pub, the Bush Inn in Blaina High Street!
Above: The western side of the Ebbw Fach valley, viewed from near St Peter's Church in
High Street. The church, just visible in the right foreground, is a rather ugly modern
building, which replaced the original parish church.
Above: Some of the terraced housing in Blaina on the eastern slopes of the valley,
viewed from the bottom end of High Street.
Above: Blaina United Reformed Church, near Gladstone Street.