Welsh Family History Archive
Images of Wales
Photography by John Ball - 12.15pm, 18 May 1999
(with Agfa ePhoto-307 digital camera)
The cathedral at Llandaff, now part of the City of Cardiff, has a history going back 1,400 years.
This major Images of Wales feature is in two main sections:
Additionally, you can study an annotated plan of the cathedral.
- exterior views, shown on this page (below);
- interior views, shown on a supplementary page.
Right: The Pritchard spire (centre) and Jasper tower (to the right), viewed from the south.
Above left: Pritchard Spire, viewed from the west. This south-west tower and spire was
built by John Pritchard in the 1860s to replace an earlier tower which collapsed in 1722.
Above right: The north-west Jasper Tower, dating from 1485, was reputedly built by
Jasper Tudor (c. 1431-1495), uncle of King Henry VII.
Above: The west front of the cathedral, dating from circa 1220.
The base of the Jasper Tower is on the extreme left of the picture.
Above: The 13th century Chapter House, on the south aspect of the cathedral.
Above left: A detail above the entrance to the Teilo Chapel, on the south side of the cathedral.
Above right: Details above the base of the Pritchard Tower.
Above: The South Door, dating from circa 1170.
Right: Details of the intricate stonework
around the South Door.
Below: St Teilo's Well. St Teilo was consecrated the second Bishop of Llandaff in the 6th
century AD, one of the three Celtic saints to whom the cathedral was originally dedicated.
The other Celtic saints were St Dyfrig and St Euddogwy.