St Mary's Church, Abbeycwmhir, RadnorshireDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St Mary
Photography: Derek Savage
Date: 29 February 2004
Pentax 70-S 35 mm SLR
St Mary's church lies on the north side of the Clywedog Brook valley, about 10 km north of Llandrindod Wells. Originally built in 1680 and seemingly then dedicated to St Bridget, it was completely replaced in 1865/66 by a Victorian structure built by Poundley and Walker, on a site a little to north of old church; most of the 17th century fittings replaced by Victorian equivalents. The church consists of nave, chancel with a polygonal apse, and an elaborate south-west tower over the porch, together with organ chamber and vestry rooms added on to north side. Over porch doorway is a relief of the Ascension copied from the tympanum in the nearby abbey.
Abbeycwmhir churchyard rises gradually from south to north. Its irregular shape is moulded by the topography. The north side of churchyard was used during 19th and 20th centuries, but the gravestones are well spread. They are denser to the south, and some go back into last quarter of the 18tth. There are at least three cast iron grave markers.
[Adapted from: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]
Further details and photographs