Back to indexImages of Wales

Holy Trinity Church, Aberaeron, Cardiganshire

Name: Holy Trinity Church

Denomination: Anglican

Built: 1872

Modified: 1900

The river Aeron divides the ancient parishes of Henfynyw and Llanddewi Aberarth, both of which originally conducted their worship entirely in Welsh. In 1838, a sum of £700 was raised by public subscription to build a chapel of ease in Aberaeron for the benefit of the influx of English-speaking minor gentry and tradesmen who had come into the town as a result of the building of the new harbour. This Georgian style chapel was licensed in 1838, but by 1870 the chapel had become dilapidated. It was rebuilt in the then fashionable florid Gothic style and opened in October 1872 and consecrated in August 1875. The basic structure of the tower and the nave remains unchanged, but in 1900 the original apse with three stained glass windows was replaced by the present chancel. The windows from the demolished apse were reused in the north wall of the new chancel. The only major change to the interior since 1900 is the painting of the chancel roof, which was part of the refurbishing of the church in the 1960s.
[Adapted from the Holy Trinity Church website where further details are available]
Holy Trinity Church, Aberaeron
Photography: John Ball
Date: 10 August 2008
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR

Holy Trinity Church, Aberaeron

Back to indexImages of Wales