Lady Llanover's Welsh Church (aka St Luke's Church), Abercarn, MonmouthshireName: Lady Llanover's Welsh Church (originally St Luke's Church)
Denomination: Calvinistic Methodist / Presbyterian (shared with Anglicans since 1980)
Note 1: Abercarn Methodist Chapel was built in 1853 and improved in 1903. The chapel is built in the Simple Gothic style of the gable entry type.
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 13130)]
Below: Lady Llanover's Welsh Church, photographed in late 19th century.
[Original photo held by Gwent Archives (album MISC MSS 1931), but see also Gathering the Jewels website]
Note 5: Augusta Hall (later Lady Llanover) firmly believed that no person and no animal should work on a Sunday and since the nearest Anglican Church was five miles up hill, horses and people would have to work very hard to get there. As a result, she built a church at Abercarn in which the Welsh speaking Anglicans of the area could hold services. This building remained the property of the Halls. A decade or so after the church was built, the vicar asked permission to hold one service a month in English for the increasing number of outsiders coming to work in the mines and iron works in the valley. The Halls (by then Lord and Lady Llanover) refused and turfed out the Anglicans and the Presbyterians were in. It was 1890 before another church was built for the Anglicans: a corrugated iron building which became the Parish Church of the new Parish of Abercarn. It remained as such until the new St Luke's was built and consecrated in 1926. The Llanovers will be revolving in their graves: English services being held in their Welsh Church!
For more information about Lady Llanover, visit the Lady Llanofer: The Bee of Gwent website]