Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Green Street English Wesleyan Chapel, Aberdare, Glamorgan

Name: Green Street English Wesleyan Chapel

Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist

Built: 1841
Rebuilt: 1859
Enlarged: 1864
  Photography: John Ball
Date: 15 October 1998
Camera: Agfa ePhoto307 digital

Note 1: This Classical design, simple with pilasters dividing the façade into panels and finished in colour-wash rendering, is a Grade 2 Listed Building. The 1851 Religious Census states that the chapel was erected in 1841. Twelve-month average attendances were: afternoons 40, evenings 76.
[Source: Chapels of the Cynon Valley, by Alan Vernon Jones, Cynon Valley Historical Society, 2004; ISBN 0-9531076-1-2]

Note 2: Green Street Methodist Chapel was built in 1859 in the Classical style of the gable-entry type. The simple facade comprises of three bays divided by tapering pilasters, with the outer two bays lit by full height round-headed windows with simple round-headed glazing. The central bay contains double panelled doors with a plain rectanular over-light, above which is a wider, segmentally arched window also with round-headed glazing. The pediment contains a square datestone inscribed ENGLISH WESLEYAN CHAPEL AD 1859. This chapel has an unusual feature of having a splayed rectangular ground plan. Green Street is now Grade 2 Listed. [Source: Coflein online database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales (accessed 18 May 2017)]

Green Street English Wesleyan Chapel, Aberdare

Back to indexImages of Wales