Noddfa Chapel, Church Road, Abersychan, Monmouthshire
Name: Noddfa Chapel
Photography: Google StreetView
Note 1: Built in 1846, enlarged in 1848 and rebuilt 1880. The present chapel, dated 1880, is built in the Simple Round-Headed style with a gable entry plan, two storeys and tall fan headed windows.
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 12937)]
Note 2: Noddfa is Welsh for refuge and although little Welsh is now spoken in this area, the chapel is a sign that the Welsh language was still spoken until the First World War. However it began to lose ground because of the parliamentary report that was commissioned on the role of Welsh in education in 1847, together with the influence of the large amounts of English people who had moved here to find work.
[Source: Abersychan Power and Prayer trail, downloadable as a PDF document from the Visit Torfaen website]