Back to indexImages of Wales
 
St Beuno's Church, Berriew
St Beuno's Church, Berriew, Montgomeryshire

Dedication: St Beuno

Denomination: Anglican

Built: 1802
Rebuilt / Restored: 1875

Note 1: St Beuno's church is sited in a large sub-oval enclosure in the centre of the village on the north bank of the Afon Rhiw, about five miles south-west of Welshpool. The present church dates from 1802, though it underwent a major phase of rebuilding and restoration in 1875. Nothing of its medieval predecessor survives, and the only pre-19th century furnishings are three late 16th/early 17th century effigies from a tomb. The present structure is an 1875 enlargement in Gothic style of an original 1802 nave and three-storey square tower (see engravings near bottom of page). [Source: Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) where further details are available]

Note 2: The church was built in 1804 and remodelled in 1876. In the north aisle are effigies of Arthur Price, died 1597, and his two wives. [Source: SALTER, Mike (1991) The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales, Folly Publications, Malvern, Worcestershire; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]

Note 3: A large glacial erratic [boulder] is sited on the north side of an avenue of lime trees, between the west end of the church building and the lych gate. The stone is said to be the meeting point of the townships of Berriew, Cil and Lower Vaynor.
[Source: The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map website.]





Photography: Ellie Thomas
Date: 16 March 2008
Camera: Pentacon Praktica DCZ 5.8 compact digital


St Beuno's Church, Berriew

St Beuno's Church, Berriew
Above: "North East View of Berriew Church, Montgomery" [engraving dated 1798 – People's Collection Wales website]

St Beuno's Church, Berriew
Above: "South West View of the new Church, Berriew, Montgomeryshire"
[engraving published in the Gentlemen's Magazine, April 1805 – People's Collection Wales website]


Below: Untitled view of Berriew Church [engraving dated circa 1830 – People's Collection Wales website]
St Beuno's Church, Berriew

Many thanks to Alun Evans for drawing my attention to these old engravings.

Back to indexImages of Wales