St John's Church, Betws Ifan, Cardiganshire
Dedication: St John
Photography: Dai Bevan
Date: 17 September 2007
Camera:, Kodak Z7590 Zoom digital
Bettws-Ieuvan, or Evan (Bettws-Ieuan), a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Troedyraur, county of Cardigan, South Wales, five miles (N) from Newcastle-Emlyn, containing 386 inhabitants. This parish is situated a short distance to the east of the turnpike road leading from Cardigan to Aberystwith. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed, with that of Brongwyn, to the vicarage of Penbryn in the archdeaconry of Cardigan, and diocese of St David's. The church, dedicated to St John, has been recently repaired, and has received two hundred and fifty additional sittings, of which one hundred are free, the Incorporated Society for the building and enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £25 towards defraying the expense. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £124.6.
[Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, by Samuel Lewis, published 1833: see GENUKI website]
Three plans, dated 1829/30, 1869/1870, and 1903/1904, may be viewed on the Church Plans Online website.