Watergate Baptist Chapel, Brecon
History: A chapel was built at Maesyberllan to the north east of Brecon in 1746 and in 1805 premises were purchased at Watergate, close to the confluence of the Honddu and Usk rivers, for a daughter chapel to Maesyberllan. It was built and opened for worship on 1st January 1806.
Photography: John Ball
In 1809 the Rev. John Evans, son of the founder, came to Brecon. He opened a Sunday School at Watergate and preached in Welsh, but in 1817 he started preaching in English on Sunday evenings. The chapel rapidly increased in numbers and posterity and for some six years English and Welsh members were content. Inevitably, friction developed and on 28th January 1823 an English Baptist congregation was formed, which, however, still worshipped at Watergate until the following year, when they moved into new premises at Kensington.
In time, the chapel became too small, so it was rebuilt in 1880 at a cost of £2000 with the addition of a schoolroom and vestry.
[Details extracted from Local Information Sheet 18 - Aberhonddu / Brecon, published by Cymdeithas Treftadaeth Y Capeli - The Chapels Heritage Society. Full text accessible on-line at http://www.capeli.org.uk/uploads/local_18_brecon.pdf]
Date: 12 January 2007
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR