St Mary's Church, Brecon, Breconshire
Dedication: St Mary
Built: 14th to 15th century
Notes: The great tower dates to the early 16th century but the rest of the building, with aisles coupled to nave and chancel, is even older, generally early 14th century through to late 15th century, and a couple of the aisle piers go back to previous centuries.
The church's former status as an urban chapel means that there is no churchyard.
St Mary's church acquired parochial status only in 1923, when St John's Church became Brecon Cathedral.
[Adapted from Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]
Further details and history:
Church in Wales website
Photography: John Ball
Date: 18 March 2007
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR