Kensington Baptist Chapel, Kensington, BreconDenomination: English Baptist
1. The first chapel on this site was built in 1844, but by 1877 it became too small to meet the needs of an expanding congregation and a flourishing Sunday school. Also the times demanded something modern and more spectacular, so a new chapel, vestry and schoolroom were built at a cost of £2000. [From Local Information Sheet 18 - Aberhonddu / Brecon, published by Cymdeithas Treftadaeth Y Capeli - The Chapels Heritage Society]
2. A Baptist chapel was built at the Watergate in 1806, superseded by the Kensington Chapel built in 1844.
[Extracted from the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]
3. Description of church hall: "Kensington Church Hall in the Watergate district of Brecon is of traditional design adjacent to the disused Baptist chapel".
[Extracted from Nursery Report on Rainbow Kindergarten, published 2008 by Estyn, the office of Her Majesty's Inspectorate for Education and Training in Wales]
4. Possibly built in 1824. In 1877 the Kensington Chapel was rebuilt. Built in the Gothic style, gable entry type.
[Extracted from Coflein database (NPRN 97351)]
5. Present chapel demolished in 2011, in preparation for rebuilding. The old chapel became unsafe due to subsidence (the chapel is close to the bank of the river Usk).
[Personal visit by John Ball, May 2011]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 4 May 2007
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR