St Peter's Church, Bryngwyn, Monmouthshire
Dedication: St Peter
Built: 12th century (with later additions)
Photography: Steve Veysey
Date: 30 August 2008
Camera: Fuji FinePix 6900 digital
Note 1: Some of the nave masonry may be 12th century. The west doorway is 13th century. Not much later a tiny tower was added against it. One nave south window, the timber south porch, and the chancel with one original SW window, are 14th century. Other windows in the nave and chancel, and the rood stair are 15th century. The chancel and the north aisle with a two-bay arcade are 19th century. The hexagonal font is probably 14th century, and there is an old iron-bound chest plus a memorial stone to William Tyler, who died in 1695.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
Note 2: The church is said to have been founded by Aeddan ap Gwaethfoed, lord of Clytha, soon after the year 1188, in consequence of the visit of archbishop Baldwin of Canterbury, who came here accompanied by Geraldus Cambrensis, archdeacon of St David's. The church is dedicated to St Peter, and three hundred yards south-east from the church is a well called Ffynnon Pedr, or St Peter's Well. The advowson has since the fourteenth century belonged to the lords of Abergavenny. For many years, until archdeacon Crawley came here in 1834, the church was served by curates, the rectors being non-resident. The rectory was let as a farmhouse, and was at that date occupied by one Matthew Watkins. The archdeacon enlarged it and made it into a comfortable residence. Until the year 18..[sic], when the church was enlarged by archdeacon Crawley, the building consisted only of chancel and nave of the same width and undivided by any arch. There were then the remains of a roodloft, the position of which can be seen, the door and stairs still remaining. The archdeacon, when adding the chancel-arch, also built the north aisle. The tower at the west end is in its original state. The doorway on the south is of late Perpendicular work with handsome mouldings, probably the fifteenth century, though the chancel and nave are doubtless earlier than this.
[Extracted from A History of Monmouthshire (Vol II), by Joseph Alfred Bradney, Mitchell Hughes and Clarke, London, 1914]
Illustration (by Norman Keene) from A History of Monmouthshire (Vol II), by Joseph Alfred Bradney, Mitchell Hughes and Clarke, London, 1914.