St Mary's Church, Builth Wells, Breconshire
Dedication: St Mary
Built: circa 1300 (tower)
Photography: John Ball
Date: 19 February 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Above: Eastern aspect of St Mary's Church.
St Mary's Church has a Norman Tower. Its curious position, south of the chancel, is because the nave of 1793 was left standing while its Victorian successor was constructed. See the two roof lines on the east side of the tower above the filled in arch.
[Source: Builth Wells website]
Above: South-western aspect of St Mary's Church.
St Mary's church at Builth Wells lies close to the River Wye in a large rectilinear churchyard. Most of the building was constructed in the later 19th century, leaving only the medieval tower, though the site of the medieval church lies to the east of its Victorian successor. There are some internal features of interest, but few for a church of this size. The tower is the only part of the building with a medieval origin. It is thought to date from c.1300, but appears to have been heightened subsequently. The rest of the edifice dates the 1873-5 building by John Norton.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archeological Trust (CPAT) website]
Nothing remains of the original Norman church except for the transeptal tower of c.1300 on the south side of the chancel. A 13th or 14th century nave, east of the tower, was replaced in 1793 by a new nave on the same site, but was demolished after the new Victorian church was completed in 1875. The font is 14th century, and there is an effigy of John Lloyd, died 1585, in the porch.
[Adapted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 2003; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
Right: John Wesley preached in St
Mary's Churchyard on 3 May 1743.
[Source: Plaque on churchyard wall]
Above: Southern aspect of St Mary's Church.
Above: Northern aspect of St Mary's Church.