Alpha Presbyterian Church of Wales, The Strand, Builth Wells, Breconshire
Present name: Builth Ecumenical Church
(formerly Alpha Presbyterian Church)
Colour photography: John Ball
Date: 19 February 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Above: Entrance doorway.
1. Alpha Methodist Chapel was first built in 1747 and later extended in 1824. In 1878 the chapel was remodelled with a new Norman style facade, interior gallery and seating. Alpha was rebuilt again in 1903, to the design of the architects, Habershon, Fawkner and Groves of Newport, in Gothic style with a gable entry plan.
[Source: Coflein database: NRPN 6093]
2. The Alpha Presbyterian chapel was built in the town of Builth Wells as far back as 1747. It proved a great success and was rebuilt in 1824 and again in 1878. It was finally rebuilt in 1903 in the form we see today.
[Source: Powys Digital History Project]
3. The first chapel to be constructed in Builth was built by the great Welsh revivalist Howell Harris in 1747. Since it was his first chapel ( indeed probably the first Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in Wales) he named it appropriately Alpha Chapel. Extensive renovation work was carried out in 1878, including the addition of an elaborate new frontage, reflecting the growing status on the chapel in Wales. The third Alpha Chapel to stand on the site is the present late Gothic style building, completed in 1903.
[Source: Photographs of Old Builth Wells, Builth Wells & District Historical Society, Gomer Press, Llandysul, 2009; ISBN 978-0-9515114-3-5]
Above: Alpha Presbyterian Chapel in the 1920s.
(Photography by P. B. Abery (1877?-1948); 119 mm x 163 mm glass negative; Ref: PBA30/9; Record no: 4510848; accessible on Flicker)