West Street Memorial English Baptist Church, Builth Wells, Breconshire
Name: West Street Memorial Chapel
Denomination: English Baptist
Photography: John Ball
Date: 19 February 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
1. West Street Memorial Baptist Church was first built in 1787. The church was rebuilt in 1899, by architect George Morgan of Carmarthen, in Gothic style with gable entry plan.
[Source: Coflein database: NRPN 6092]
2. The Baptists had a chapel in Market Street for many years, rebuilding it twice in the 19th century to make room for more congregation. In 1899 they built a fine new chapel with a spire in West Street. Many of the visitors to the town came from South Wales where there were thousands of Nonconformist chapels and the many chapels in Builth opened their doors to the visitors.
[Source: Powys Digital History Project]
3. The first Baptist Chapel in Builth was 'Ebenezer' Chapel, originally built in Market Street opposite the Plough Inn in 1790, and later rebuilt in 1816 and again in the 1840s. In 1899 it was replaced by a new one, built on the corner of West Street and Smithfield Road. Since it was opened on Queen Victoria's 80th birthday it was named the Memoral Baptist Chapel.
[Source: Photographs of Old Builth Wells, Builth Wells & District Historical Society, Gomer Press, Llandysul, 2009; ISBN 978-0-9515114-3-5]
4. The chapel is no longer used for worship. It is [in February 2010] the premises of an antiques/junk shop.
[Source: John Ball – personal visit on 19 Feb 2010]