Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Garth Road, Builth Wells, Breconshire
Name: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Photography: John Ball
Date: 19 February 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
1. The cause began in 1804. The chapel was [re?]built in 1895 as was the Sunday School. Built in the Gothic style, gable entry type. Prominant features of this Chapel are the tower, bell-cote and spire.
[Source: Coflein database: NRPN 12306]
2. The Methodists in the town who followed the teachings of John Wesley first built a chapel on the corner of the Hay Road and Castle Road. With the growth of Builth Wells and the increase in visitors, the Wesleyan Methodists also decided they needed a new, larger chapel. In 1895 they opened a new chapel in Garth Road.
[Source: Powys Digital History Project]
3. Originally founded in 1804, the first Wesley Methodist Church (now a private dwelling) was built where Castle Street and Castle Road meet. In 1895 it was replaced by the current much larger church, built in the semi-Gothic style, in Garth Road.
[Source: Photographs of Old Builth Wells, Builth Wells & District Historical Society, Gomer Press, Llandysul, 2009; ISBN 978-0-9515114-3-5]