St Mary's Church, Burry Port, Carmarthenshire
Dedication: St Mary
1. St. Mary's Church, Burry Port (Pembrey Parish) was erected at the cost of the Elkington family. Opened in Dec 1877; consecrated in May 1903. A memorial tablet in the church states: This Tablet is erected in grateful Recognition to Frederick, James Bellamy [Balleney], Alfred, Howard and Hyla Elkington For their generosity in presenting This Church as a free gift to the Parish of Pembrey
Another Elkington memorial in the form of a copper plaque is inserted in the left wall of the chancel: To The Glory of God And in Loving Memory of James Balleny Elkington And Margaret Elkington [his wife]. This tablet is erected by their Sons George Meredith Elkington and James Llewellyn Meredith Elkington 1908. 1827, the 50th Jubilee Year
[Source: E-mail from Judy Elkington of Yorkshire (3 Jan 2009)]
2. Further details on Judy Elkington's Elkington Family History website.
Photographs supplied by: Judy Elkington, January 2009