Dedication: St John the Baptist (formerly St Callwen)
Dedicated to St Callwen until circa 1868, also known as Capel Colwyn or St Colwen's. Re-dedicated to St John the Baptist between 1964 and 1965. Originally a chapel of ease to Defynnog, became a separate parish circa 1868. Currently joint with Abercrave and Coelbren.
[Extracted from Archive Network Wales]
Description from UK Attraction website:
"This late Victorian church nestles in the peaceful hamlet of Callwen, near Pen y Cae, at the foot of the Brecon Beacons. Inside, the church is light and spacious, with magnificent stained glass windows. In the churchyard there is a small monument with the following inscription: Erected in gratitude to the men of this village who risked their lives searching for an aircraft lost on the mountain, January 1939. The wreckage of this aircraft, an Avro Anson, can still be seen on the mountainside today."
This church was built in memory of the late Howel Gwyn of Dyffryn The chief corner stone was laid by Mrs Gwyn on St John Baptist's Day June 24th 1892.