Church of St John the Baptist, Cardiff, Glamorgan
Dedication: St John the Baptist
Built: Mid 15th century
Later additions: 1813, 1852, 1889
Photography: John Ball
Date: 28 May 2009
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
1. In the 1450s the original 12th century chapel was rebuilt with an aisled five-bay nave and a three-bay chancel flanked by two bay chapels. In the 1470s Anne Neville, wife of the Duke of Gloucester, later Richard III, commissioned John Hart to build the high west tower. The church suffered a drastic restoration in 1852, and in 1889 the galleries inserted in 1813 were taken out and replaced by outer aisles. The north chapel has an old screen to the chancel and contains two Herbert effigies (see bottom of page).
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991, ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
2. St John the Baptist's Church, Cardiff was originally a chapel of ease for St Mary's Church. Almost entirely rebuilt in 1453, it was restored in 1813 with additions in 1889. The church comprises of a five-bay nave, chancel, west tower, north and south porches and southwest vestry. Construction materials reflect the two main periods of construction with the earlier parts of the church in blue dias with Dundry stone dressings, and the 19th century alterations in Swelldon stone with bathstone dressings. The five-bay nave features a Perpendicular arcade and two-centred arches. The four-bay chancel has clerestorey and a five-light Perpendicular east window. The tower is of four stages, with two- and five- light windows, and finished with an arcaded and battlemented parapet featuring openwork corner pinnacles and small gargoyles. Victorian and later embellishments include sculpture by Goscombe John and Comper; stained glass by Morris, Ford Madox Brown, Burne-Jones, and a 1930s screen with daffodils and a ruby ball. [Source: Coflein database NPRN 301273].
3. See also Cardiff St John City Parish website.
Above: The base of the west tower is a few feet below the modern ground level.
Above: High altar and reredos at the eastern end of the church.
Above: Herbert effigies in north chapel. The two panels contain Latin inscriptions.