Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Ebenezer Welsh Independent Chapel, Charles Street, Cardiff, Glamorgan

Ebenezer Chapel, Cardiff

Name: Ebenezer Chapel

Denomination: Welsh Independent (formerly Congregational)

Built: 1855


Photography: John Ball
Date: 28 May 2009
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR

Notes:
1. Ebenezer Chapel in Charles Street was built in 1855 with ballast from coal ships returning from the Middle East and opened as a Congregational church. It has been a Welsh Independent chapel since 1978. The Independents took over the building when the Congregational church joined the city's United Reformed Church union. Early in 2010, this Grade II listed building was sold to developers for an undisclosed sum.
[Source: BBC website]
2. French chef Raymond Blanc's restaurant chain Brasserie Blanc is said to be interested in opening its first Welsh eaterie in the former Ebenezer Church in the city centre. An architect, planning to transform the redundant Grade II listed 19th century church on Charles Street into two separate restaurants and offices, has been in discussions with Blancís company to bring the chain to Walesí capital. The Gothic-style Ebenezer Church on Charles Street was opened in 1855 as the Charles Street Congregational Church. Designed by R. G. Thomas of Newport, it became the Ebenezer Church when the original building on Ebenezer Street was demolished in 1978 to make way for the original St Davidís shopping centre.
[Source: Wales Online website, 14 September 2010].

Below: The southeastern wall of the chapel, and adjoining land.
Ebenezer Chapel, Cardiff
Back to indexImages of Wales