St David's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Charles Street, Cardiff, Glamorgan
Dedication: St David
Below: Ornate Latin script over the main entrance doorway on Charles Street.
Photography: John Ball
Date: 28 May 2009
Nikon D50 digital SLR
1. St David's Cathedral was built between 1884-1887 by Pugin and Pugin, architects. It was built as a Roman Catholic parish church and raised to cathedral status 1920; the church was gutted after incendiary bomb attack in 1941. The restoration was carried out in the 1950s by F. R. Bates & Son, and Price and the church was reopened in March 1959. It is a Gothic building of serious, severe Early English design; built of coursed rock-faced Pennant stone with red sandstone ashlar dressings. [Source: Coflein website NPRN 9311]
2. Cardiff Metropolitan Cath-edral of St David, also known as St David's Cathedral Cardiff, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the city centre of Cardiff, Wales and is the centre of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cardiff. Following the arrival of 12,000 Catholics fleeing famine in Ireland in the 1840s and more immigration thereafter, St David's was built as Cardiff's principal Catholic church in 1887, and it became a cathedral and seat of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Cardiff in 1916. The Cathedral was severely damaged by bombing in 1941, but following extensive restoration, it was re-opened in 1959. Located in Charles Street, the Cathedral remains the focal point for Catholic life in Cardiff, and the country as a whole. It is one of only three Roman Catholic Cathedrals in the UK which is associated with a choir school. [Source: Wikipedia]