St John's Church, Carno, Montgomeryshire
Dedication: St John the Baptist
Photography: John Ball
The present building, erected in 1867 in Gothic style, replaced what was probably a medieval structure associated with the Knights Hospitallers and their adjacent grange of Caer Noddfa. The masonry may include some re-used material on the north side of the church, but virtually nothing other than the bells survived the Victorian rebuilding, though an early medieval inscribed stone, found in the village, now resides in the church. The churchyard is large and rectilinear containing monuments from the end of the 17th century onwards.
[Extract from information on the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website. Full text on-line here]
Date: 19 September 2002
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR