St Michael's Church, Cathedine, Breconshire
Dedication: St Michael
Photography: John Ball
Date: 5 March 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
1. St Michael's church at Cathedine occupies a rectangular churchyard on a hill slope at the southern end of Llangorse Lake, some 11 kilometres to the east of Brecon. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in the second half of the 19th century, but some stonework from the earlier structure may survive. Its only medieval furnishing is a plain font. The church was rebuilt at two different periods in the second half of the 19th century, but perhaps not entirely: the west wall and the jambs of the south door could be from its predecessor.
[Source: Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]
2. The plain font is 13th century. The nave is of 1868, and the chancel is of 1894.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 2003; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
3. The present church, dedicated to St Michael and set on the hillside overlooking Llangorse lake, is mainly the result of extensive Victorian rebuilding, however it does have a font from the 13th century and the registers start in 1732.
[Source: Church in Wales website]