Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Llawddog's Church, Cenarth, Carmarthenshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Llawddog
Photography: Richard Parry-Jones
Date: 6 October 2011
Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi digital SLR

Built: Medieval
Restored: 1872

St LLawddog's Church

Note: St Llawddog's church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Emlyn and appropriated to St Davids Cathedral. In 1833 the living was still in the patronage of the Bishop of St Davids. In 1998 St Llawddog's was a parish church belonging to the Rural Deanery of Emlyn. It is situated within a curvilinear churchyard. A Latin inscribed stone is located near the western churchyard boundary, adjacent to the south-west corner of the church building. It is noted to have originally been located in a nearby field and was reportedly moved to its current location in 1894. The medieval church may have been sited immediately south of the present building. In 1844 it was described as some 50ft long and 25ft broad, with 230 sittings. In 1855 it was described as comprising a nave, chancel and transeptal south chapel. The chancel arch was descibed as pointed, with a projection in its south wall. There was also a pointed west door and a western double bellcote. The current church is a Grade II listed building, constructed of local slate rubble. It was built in 1872, to the designs of Middleton and Goodman, Cheltenham, and has not been substantially altered. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 22 Mar 2016)]


Back to indexImages of Wales