1. The large parish church of St Nicholas in Churchstoke lies about eight miles south-south-east of Welshpool and very close to the English border. The present church is largely the result of 19th century rebuilding, but it retains its 13th century tower with a later timber belfry. From the period prior to the 19th century, only a font, a stoup and a chest have survived up to three phases of restoration and reconstruction. The church is situated in a raised sub-circular churchyard which has been extended in recent times.
A 13th century square western tower, reduced in height in 1812, has a typical Montgomeryshire-style timber-framed belfry and a pyramidal slate roof. The main body of the church with its large high pitched roof dates to the second half of the 19tth century, though the sequence of construction is not completely clear.
[Extracted from Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further details are provided]
2. Only the 13th century west tower survived the rebuilding of 1815. It was then given a wooden top stage. The rest of the church was remodelled in the High Victorian style in the 1870s.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales by Mike Salter, published 1991, Folly Publications. Malvern. ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
3. Several 19th century floor plans of the church are available on the Church Plans Online website.