St Mary's Church, Crickadarn, Breconshire|
Dedication: St Mary
Built: 13th century with later additions
Restorations: 1867 and 1895
Photographs 1 & 3: Robert Eckley
Date: 22 August 2014
Camera: Panasonic DMC-TZ20 digital compact
Note 1. The church of St Mary and its small surrounding settlement lies in the hills to the west of the Wye Valley some 10km south of Builth Wells. It is a small well-maintained church, the earliest features of which may be 13thC, with 15th and 16thC additions, and several later phases of restoration. Internally there is a good range of monuments but little else of significance. Its churchyard small and sub-circular with many gravestones.
Above: St Mary's Church, viewed from the southeast
Fabric differences between north wall of nave/chancel on the one hand and south and east walls on the other would suggest that the former with simple lancets is earlier (perhaps 13thC) with a 15thC (or even early 16thC) rebuild of the south and east walls, retaining earlier doorways. The porch was erected at the same time or soon after and the tower was added, on the basis of relatively slight evidence, in the 16thC, the west wall of the nave being cut away to take it. Recent work is visible along top of north wall. [Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website (accessed 6 May 2017)].
Note 2. The Church of St Mary is in an upland location SW of Erwood. Its origins are medieval, but precise dating has been blurred by the mists of time. One source suggests that its earliest surviving features may be 13th century, with 15th and 16th century additions. There were two 19th century restorations, in 1867 and 1895. [Source: Note on Geograph website, © Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence].
[© Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence]
Note 3. St Mary's church, Crickadarn is a late medieval parish church, made up of a nave and chancel under a single roof, south porch and large west tower. It was restored in 1867, 1895 and about 1906. Many internal and external features dates from these restorations. The walls are of stone rubble and the roofs are stone tiled. The medieval fabric is largely fifteenth and sixteenth century. The four stage tower rises with its stair turret to an embattled parapet. The porch [shown right] shows fifteenth century trusses. [Source: Coflein, the online database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales (accessed 6 May 2017)].
Above: St Mary's Church, viewed from the north
[Google StreetView September 2011 (accessed 6 May 2017)]