St Edmund's Church, Crickhowell, Breconshire
Dedication: St Edmund
Built: 14th century
In 1303 Lady Sibyl Pauncefoot donated land for a church to be built, most of which still survives. It comprises a chancel, crossing tower with later broach spire, transepts, and an aisled nave with three bay arcades. The aisles were demolished in 1765 but replaced in a wider form in 1826 and 1835 so that they now project beyond the transepts. The chancel has a restored east window with intersecting tracery, a piscina and sedilia, priest's doorways and two tomb recesses on either side.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales by Mike Salter, published 1991, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN 1-871731-11-9]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 2 May 2007
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
The font (below left) is a replica of an old font, which was probably destroyed by Cromwell's Roundheads, and bears the date 1663 and the names of the churchwardens.
[From The Story of St Edmund's Church Crickhowell by Rev C. G. James, 3rd edition edited by Diana Wynne, published 1995, The Old Bakehouse, Abertillery]