Dedication: St Michael
The church is in the Benefice of Cwmavon (Michaelston-super-Avon), and the diocese of Llandaff.
The old ecclesiastical name for the parish was Llanfihangel-ynys-Afan. The parish of Cwmafan is also known as the parish of Michaelston-super-Avon. There are references to a church in the area dedicated to St. Michael dating back to the 12th century.
The parish church of St Michael (which was enlarged some years ago through the efforts of the curate and Mr. Biddulph, the then manager of the Cwm-Avon works and churchwarden), is in the Norman style, and consists of nave, chancel, one aisle and small castellated tower containing two bells, and surmounted by a stone spire; there is a very fine organ, and a magnificent stained glass window in the chancel, which was subscribed for by the parishioners. The register dates from the middle of the sixteenth century. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Governor and Company of Copper Miners in England, and held by the Rev. John Griffiths; the services are exclusively in Welsh, and performed by the Rev. Henry Lewis, curate.
[Source: Post Office Directory, 1871, transcribed by Phil Mustoe; full details on the GENUKI website]
Further details and photographs on the Parish of Cwmafan website.
Photography: John Ball
Date: 9 June 2000
Camera: Sony Mavica MVC-FD91 digital