St Clement's Church, Cwmcarvan, Monmouthshire
Dedication: St Clement
1. This interesting church lies almost alone. East of the porch is the blocked original Norman doorway. In the 15th century the nave was lengthened and provided with a north porch (now a vestry), fine new windows, and a roodloft stair. The south porch and the ashlar-faced west tower were added circa 1500. The chancel was rebuilt in the 16th century. The tower has a NE stair turret, two light belfrey windows with the tracery above the main lights left unpierced, and a heavy moulding following the contour of the battlements. In the tower are an iron studded door and black oak screen of circa 1600. The roof is painted dark blue with gold bosses. There are an old font and two 13th century floriated cross slabs, plus an altar table of 1637.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower by Mike Salter, published 1991, Folly Publications, Malvern, England. ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
2. The church is an ancient building of stone, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and an embattled western tower with a Square turret at the north-east angle, and containing 6 bells: the church was restored in 1877 at a cost of £700, and affords 130 sittings. The register of baptisms and marriages dates from the year 1660; births, 1728; burials, 1662. The living is a chapelry annexed to the rectory of Mitchel-Troy, joint net yearly value £296, with 80 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Duke of Beaufort, and held since 1886 by the Rev Henry Marriott Tomson Bidwell, who resides at Mitchel-Troy.
[Extracted from: Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire, 1901]
Photography: Paul Berndt
Date: 24 May 2008
Camera: Nikon D300 digital