Holy Trinity Church, Farmer's Row, Felinfoel, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
Dedication: Holy Trinity
Photography: John Ball (except where indicated)
Date: 22 February 2000
Camera: Sony Mavica MVC-FD91 digital
1. Felinfoel is 1½ miles north of the centre of the town of Llanelli in the county of Carmarthenshire. Its name is probably best known in connection with the Felinfoel Brewery Company Ltd., makers of the famous Welsh "Double Dragon" bitter ale. Felinfoel was once in the parish of Llanelli but is now a parish in its own right. Holy Trinity parish church spire is a prominent landmark in the town. The spire appears to be weather-proofed with copper or bronze. The extensive graveyard is on level ground and is well maintained. Most of the gravestones are in reasonably good condition and with one or two exceptions, the inscriptions are quite legible. The oldest graves, dating from the late 1850s, are in a large plot in front of the south wall of the church.
[Source: Notes made by John Ball following his visit in February 2000]
2. The church was built by R. K. Penson, financed by the Nevill family. It was completed in 1857, and consecrated on Trinity Sunday in 1858 when it was still part of the parish of Llanelli. The Church is cruciform with a tower at the crossing and has beautiful stained glass windows including three in memory of the Nevill family. In 1879 Holy Trinity became Felinfoel Parish Church, 21 years after it was first consecrated and following the establishment of Felinfoel Parish. Holy Trinity became the mother church when two other churches (Graiglwyd Mission church and St John's) were built in the parish. The church was given Grade 2 listing, as a building of historical and architectural interest having undergone little change since 1857. In the 1960s the roof was completely renovated when the original stone spire was replaced by green copper, giving a unique appearance. Most of the kerbstones were removed in the 1970s. The graveyard was extended in 1990s when the site of the former garden of the National School was consecrated for a burial plot. The lychgate was restored in 1998.
[Source: Llanelli History website]
3. Prominently sited in Felinfoel. Large graveyard to S with rubble boundary wall to all sides; Gothic style timber lychgate with tiled roof, steel gates; Celtic cross granite war-memoral in churchyard.
[Source: British Listed Buildings website]
Google StreetView photograph (2009)
There are more pictures of the churchyard, and details of some graves in my Webpage Archive