Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Michael's Church, Forden, Montgomeryshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Michael

Built: 1865/67
Photography: Ellie Thomas
Date: 15 March 2008
Camera: Praktica Pentacon DCZ 5.8 digital

 
Note 1:
The church of St Michael lies in the dispersed settlement of Forden about four miles south of Welshpool. The present building was constructed in 1867 to replace a small medieval single-chamber church which remained standing and in use while the present church was being erected a short distance to the south. Nothing of the earlier building survives above ground, and the only pre-19thC furnishing to survive is a font bowl of 1794. The irregularly-shaped churchyard retains some 18thC gravemarkers.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website (accessed 3 Jan 2016)]


St Michael's Church, Forden

Note 2:
The current St Michael's is the second incarnation of this parish church; it was built in 1865-6 to replace a dilapidated medieval single cell church south of the site. When St Michael's was consecrated in 1867 the earlier church was destroyed, and now little trace remains. The replacement building is a fine example of a mid-Victorian church, which has been little altered since its first construction. When additions were made in 1879 the original architect, Thomas Nicholas, was once again instructed. St Michael's is in an early Decorated style, and consists of a nave with north and south aisles, chancel, lean-to vestry and three stage south west tower with small pyramidal roof, wind vane and weathercock. It is built from local rubble masonry with red Grinshill and cream Minera dressings. The only element of the former church incorporated into this site is the oval streaked marble font bowl, dated 1791, now mounted on a played octagonal shaft in the new church.
[Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 3 Jan 2016)]

St Michael's Church, Forden

Back to indexImages of Wales