Capel Seion, Glais, Ynysymond, Glamorgan
Name: Capel Sion (Seion)
Denomination: Welsh Independent
1. Built in 1840, modified, altered or rebuilt 1865, architect Rev. Thomas Thomas of Landore.
[From Coflein database]
2. The chapel was rebuilt in 1865 to a design by Rev Thomas Thomas 1817-1888 (Thomas Glandŵr), recognised as one of the most important chapel architects in Wales.
[Source: Thomas Thomas 1817-1888: the first national architect of Wales, by Stephen Hughes, first published in Archaeologica Cambrensis 153 (2003), now available as a reprint between soft covers.]
3. The wall plaque (above right) is located to the left of the entrance door. Presumably it survives from the original chapel built in 1840, but the newer plaque (right) indicates that the Independents were established at Glais in 1834 under the ministry of Rev Wm Thomas. The plaque, located to the right of the entrance, was erected to commemorate their centenary.
Photography: John Ball
Date: 16 November 2007
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR