Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Peter's Church, Glasbury, Breconshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Peter

Built: 1837/38
  Photography: John Ball
Date: 7 May 2001
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR

 
Notes:
Unlike most parish churches, the main axis of St Peter's is aligned north-south rather than east-west.

St Peter's was built using material from an earlier church of 1665 on nearby site. The iron screen at the chancel entrance was added in 1882 and the reredos in 1894. Within the church there are memories of earlier churches. The font recalls a former chapel of ease once existing a mile away near the Old Barn in Three Cocks. It was finally closed after a duel was fought in the building and the old font was brought to St Peter's. At the other end of the church, the altar rails came from the original village church destroyed by floods in the English Civil War.
[Adapted from details on the Church in Wales website]

This [original] church ... was sited between the confluence of the Wye and Llynfi, on the east bank of the Wye. ... The old parish church by the river was abandoned in the 1660s, following a flood in which the course of the river is said to have changed. A new church dedicated to St Peter was erected on the river terrace to the south of the earlier church, on the Brecknockshire side of the river.
[Extracted from Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website]


St Peter's, Glasbury

Back to indexImages of Wales