Treble Hill Chapel, Glasbury, Breconshire
Name: Treble Hill Baptist Chapel
Photography: John Ball
Date: 30 January 2007
Camera: Fuji Finepix S602 Zoom digital
1. The church was formed in 1862. The present church was built or rebuilt in 1866 in the Sub-Classical and Romanesque style, gable entry type.
[From Coflein database]
2. But it is the Baptists' Treble Hill chapel temple of 1866 at Glasbury that is numbered amongst Anthony Jones's list of buildings to be 'saved at all costs' and one can understand
why. Its happy and unpretentious combination of brick and stone and round-headed Georgian windows makes it comparable to the much-praised Congregational chapel at Nolton Haven in Pembrokeshire. Inside, its pine wood furnishings and magnificent but restrained pulpit and minister's stall are equally noteworthy. In recent years the use of colour on the central plaster ceiling rose and elsewhere has enhanced the overall dignity of this handsome building.
[Extract from p. 16 of Marching to Zion - Radnorshire Chapels, by J. B. Sinclair and R. W. D. Fenn, published 1990 by Cadoc Books, Kington; ISBN 0-9516865-0; with a reference to Welsh Chapels by Anthony Jones, 2nd edition published 1996 by Sutton Publishers Ltd; ISBN: 0-7509-1162-X]
3. In the early days there was little theological difference between the Independents and the Baptists, but by the time the Baptists came to build their chapel at Treble Hill in 1866 there were well-marked differences between them and the Independents of Maesyronnen. The present building replaced a simpler predecessor that was originally a warehouse. It
cost £900 and is a happy and unpretentious combination of brick and stone and roundheaded windows and it included a small house for the minister. Inside, designed to seat a
congregation of 350, its handsome pinewood furnishings and magnificent but restrained pulpit and minister's stalI are equally noteworthy. The ceiling is flat, with ornate cornices and plaster work.There is heavily frosted glass in the windows of Treble Hill protecting the congregation from the distracting beauties of nature. The introduction of frosted glass was also a protection from the hostile and inquisitive, and Kilvert's Diaries show how relations between church and chapel were not always amicable in Radnorshire in the 1870s.
[Source: Local Information Sheet 7 - Glasbury & Hay on Wye, published by Cymdeithas Treftadaeth Y Capeli - The Chapels Heritage Society. Full text accessible on-line at http://www.capeli.org.uk/uploads/local_07_hayonwye_glasbury.pdf]
Present status: Derelict (January 2007)