Glasbury Methodist Church, Cwmbach, Glasbury, Radnorshire
Name: Glasbury Methodist Church
Denomination: Wesleyan Methodist
Photography: John Ball
Date: 22 October 2014
Camera: Canon IXUS 115 HS digital compact
Note: In 1818 a certain Richard Hergest, who lived nearby at Skynlais underwent some kind of religious experience. "One day in the summer of 1818, when crossing a meadow, God spoke to me and said. 'Give that corner of the meadow to the Methodists and build a chapel' ". This he did and subscribed liberally, we are told, to its construction. Later he also gave land for a burial ground. [continues below]
Note (continued): The result was that the Wesleyan Methodists acquired a small chapel with a characteristically Radnorshire half-hipped roof. Such roofs were often replaced by straightforward gables in subsequent rebuildings. This chapel's pointed windows have an unusually ecclesiastical appearance for 1818 and may reflect the Anglican origins of the denomination's founder and a surviving loyalty to his church. The choice of the site could have ben influenced by the three yew trees growing nearby, which are far older than the chapel they overshadow. [Source: Local Information Sheet 7 - Glasbury & Hay on Wye, published by Cymdeithas Treftadaeth Y Capeli - The Chapels Heritage Society. Full text accessible on-line at http://www.capeli.org.uk/uploads/local_07_hayonwye_glasbury.pdf]
Inscription on Tombstone (right):
In Memory of James Bynon
of this Parish Aged 47 Years.
an esteemed leader and local
Preacher in the Wesleyan connection.
Also James his Son Aged 17 Years.
Both were drowned in the River Wye
with three other persons on the
28th of Seper 1850 while attempting
to cross the River in a Ferry Boat
after the fall of Glasbury Bridge.
Margaret wife of James Bynon
who witnessed the untimely Death
of her Husband and only Son
and oppressed with grief She died
October 24th 1850 Aged 57 Years.
Dangers stand thick through all the ground,
To push us to the tomb:
And fierce diseases wait around,
To hurry mortals home.
This stone is erected by the Friends of the
deceased as a mark of respect
The above tragic incident was reported in a local newspaper:
The Hereford Journal 2 October 1850, page 3
A detailed report of the subsequent inquest appeared on page 8 of|
The Hereford Times, published on Saturday, 5th October 1850.
A full transcript is available here as a PDF document.