Notes: The earliest mention of a church at Gresford is in the Domesday Book (AD 1086) but the first reference to a church on the present site is in a document from 1333. It records that the church at Gresford was founded by Trahaearn ap Ithel ap Eunydd and his five brothers who endowed it with glebe land.
The original late 13th century church was built in stone. A buttress in the angle formed by the tower and the exterior of the north aisle, together with the interior (east) wall of the tower, are the only visible relics of that church.
In the 14th century, an aisle was added on the south side; the window in the Decorated style at the west end of the south aisle remains from this period. At the same time the chancel was extended eastward as far as the present altar rail, and a vaulted crypt was built under it. A plain, low tower was added at the west end and an arched opening was made from the nave into the tower.
In the late 15th century the earlier church was almost entirely demolished and the present church was built in the perpendicular style. Only the tower and part of the west wall and part of the east wall were retained.
[Adapted from historical information on the All Saints' Church, Gresford website]